Applying for Social Security Disability at the Initial Level may be completed on your own without an attorney.
The initial application can be completed online (currently only available in English), over the phone, or by making an appointment with your local Social Security Administration office. Here is a CHECKLIST of some information you will need in order to apply:
- Date and place of birth
- Social Security Number
- Highest grade in school completed and date completed
- The name, date of birth, and social security number of your current spouse; as well as any former spouse(s)
- Date and places of marriage; as well as dates of divorce or death
- Name and date of birth for any minor children
- Bank account information if you want your benefits electronically deposited
- Beginning and ending dates of any active U.S. military service
- If you are self-employed, you need the business type and total net income
- Job history for the 15 years prior to the date you became unable to work due to your medical condition(s)
- Name, address, and telephone number of someone you agree the Social Security Administration may contact who knows about your medical condition(s) and can assist with your claim.
- List of your medical conditions
- Names, addresses, phone numbers and dates of examinations/treatment with doctors and hospitals for your medical conditions
- Names and dates of medical tests you have received
- Names of medications you are taking, the doctor who prescribed the medications and the reason you are taking the medication.
- Any special job training that you have received, as well as trade school or vocational school training, along with the date in which it was completed
Once you complete the above checklist, you will be ready for your application process!
Here is a link you can add: Social Security